Spring is here, and I am loving the blooming flowers!
They are too pretty to pick, so today I thought I would share with you a tutorial on how to make gorgeous big flowers out of coffee filters.
Here’s What You’ll Need:
5 -10 coffee filters
A plastic straw
Florist tape or Washi tape
Here’s What You Do:
1. Fold 3 or four coffee filters in half, then in half again, and again until you have just a small sliver of a coffee filter.
2. Cut the edges of the top of the coffee filter to make them scalloped or pointed.
3. Unfold your filters and repeat with 2 more sets of filters, making each a different design on the edge.
4. Cut the bendy part off of your straw if you are using a flexible straw.
5. Take 3 coffee filters – they can all be the same design on the edge or mix and matched – and layer them on top of each other. Gather them by the center bottom of the filters and gently twist them together to create a gathered look.
6. Tape the gathered bunch onto the top of the straw, creating the center portion of your flower.
7. Use your scissors to carefully poke a hole in the center of 2 or 3 of the coffee filters you have cut.
8. Gently poke the straw through the hole in the filters and slide them up to the top of the straw where the center of the flower is.
9. Squeeze the loose coffee filters around the top of the straw and bottom of the center part of the flower and secure in place with a small piece of tape or two.
10. Fluff the layers of the flower.
And wa-lah! A beautiful flower to display when your fresh spring flowers aren’t quite ready to be brought inside.
For a fun variation to add some color to your day, soak your filters in food coloring or Rit dye and let them dry before you cut them to create a bouquet of different colored flowers.
If you try this – take some pictures and post them on the Oh, What Love FB page!
What flowers are blooming where you are? Share in the comments below.
– – – – –